THE DIARY OF A GEEK IN OXFORDSHIRE


Solving the World's problems with common sense and a flamethrower.

Friday, January 02, 2009

2009, Chapter One Verse One


2009 begins, then, with me in my familiar place - poised over an expectant keyboard.

I took a conscious decision to stay away from blogging over the Christmas break - it's difficult to vent a spleen that's marinated in alcohol and brandy butter, so it was time to let the rage subside, rebuild some much-needed sanity and focus on the good things in life for a short time. You'll note I also didn't bother with the obligatory 'review of the year' post, nor did I produce a 'what to expect in 2009' either. The fact is, I never see the point in either post. If you're a regular reader, you'll have your own favourite posts, making a review unnecessary - and I don't see the purpose of New Year anyway.

Think about it. New Year is a meaningless celebration - an arbitrary point on an arbitrary calendar, a date selected for our own purposes and nothing more. It varies dependent upon your nationality and religion, and doesn't even coincide with true seasonal events such as the Solstice. The world still turns despite the fireworks, the wars go on, the injustices continue, and 31 December makes no changes to the parlous state of this world and this country.

I never make resolutions either - why make promises at the start of the year that you know will be broken by February? Why start the year with an impending sense of failure?

But now I'm back.

The news is again being watched, the ire is building, the words to explain the iniquities starting to form once again. So I've decided to break with tradition this year, and make one - just one - resolution - I will write every day.

I hope that you all keep reading, that I keep making you smile, and perhaps - just perhaps - if enough of us read and write, we can make some changes, however small.

Thanks for reading in 2008, and I look forward to writing for you in 2009.

3 comments:

Hedgewytch said...

Good to have you back

Brennig said...

Wot she sed. BTW, came across a link to you in an American's blog I read.

Catosays said...

All power to your keyboard....