THE DIARY OF A GEEK IN OXFORDSHIRE


Solving the World's problems with common sense and a flamethrower.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Proof that even the Clued can be Clueless. . .

It had to happen. . . .

I've ended up doing techie duties again here at $WESELLCOOLHARDWARE. The sorry saga follows, with names excised to protect the hugely guilty. . .

Flashback. Thursday last week. Someone an infected attachment. Cue install of W32.Mytob.CZ.

Friday. The Technical team (who are hardware uberhackers) take the network down to disinfect it. $TECHNICALMANAGER decides it would be a great idea to change our network config at the same time, so uninstalls MS ISA Server.

With no access to the router.

Then tries to install Sygate Personal Firewall on an operational 2K SBS server.

So as of Monday, we have no Web access, no email, no access to shared folders, no Skype, no MSN. . .

Lunchtime Monday. The Boss sets me on the case. Only I'm not allowed to bring anyone in to help. Cue 9 hours on the phone with Microsoft, finally leading to . . . nothing. No further forward than when I reinstalled ISA myself.

Microsoft Support the Monty Python way - I'm banging a dead parrot on the counter, and they're swapping counters to see if that solves the problem!

Anyway, I finally got permission from The Boss to bring someone in.

One change of router and network reconfiguration later, we've got everything up and running. 4pm Tuesday.

And this morning - no mail. Outbound is fine, internal fine, but nothing coming in.

This, of course, is my fault. According to The Boss.

Blech.


No comments: