THE DIARY OF A GEEK IN OXFORDSHIRE


Solving the World's problems with common sense and a flamethrower.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Motivation

Now I'm not normally one for reposting other people's stuff, but I saw this this morning, and felt obliged to spread it around a bit.

I won't repost the whole article - it's someone elses, and if you want to read it go and give the traffic to them. But the reason it caught me was this one:

5. Follow your passion, money will follow:
If you have passion and have fun doing your job, then I wouldn't consider it a job. You can focus on creating even more passion for that subject and money will eventually follow you. If you focus only on the money, it won't come because you're focused on the quantity of your work and not the quality.

This one really stuck with me - as I've actually taken that step and, in December 2006, gave up the sales work I've always done for a tech role - and it was, by far, the best decision I've ever made.

Right now, when I'm down with a stinking cold and when I've been on-call and repeatedly dragged out of bed for stupid, pointless calls that shouldn't have been escalated, it's hard to remember how good I felt on 7 December 2006 when I started as a Bob.

So thanks to DumbLittleMan.com for the timely reminder.

No comments: